The Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) takes an active role in the development and delivery of pre-licensing education programs. Individuals who wish to become licensed as real estate industry members must complete the Real Estate Associates Program (REAP).
REAP is a two-part program consisting of the Fundamentals of Real Estate and Real Estate Areas of Practice, both of which can be completed in-class or via distance delivery. Prior to registering in REAP, individuals must complete the free, online information session, Introduction to a Career in Real Estate.
REAP is available in-class and online. Because you must register for each phase separately, you can take a combination of classroom and distance courses to suit your schedule.
Completing REAP In-Class
REAP registration forms are available at REAP delivery institutions. Prior to registering in REAP, individuals must first complete the free, online information session, Introduction to a Career in Real Estate. Registration requirements must be met at least 2 business days prior to the class start date. Each course requires additional documents:
- The Fundamentals of Real Estate:
- Official transcript (sent directly to the Alberta Real Estate Association (AREA) from the institution you attended). Acceptable transcripts include:
- A high school transcript indicating that a diploma was granted, mailed from Alberta Education or another Canadian provincial department of education;
- A transcript of a completed degree from a Canadian university;
- A transcript of a two-year diploma/certificate from a recognized Canadian college or technical institution;
- Educational assessment from a member of the Alliance of Credential Services of Canada www.canalliance.org indicating qualifications generally comparable to high school completion, a two-year diploma or a degree; or,
- Proof of successful completion of the General Educational Development (GED) test.
- A copy of your birth certificate, current driver’s licence, passport or citizenship card
- Legal proof of name change (if applicable); and,
- Certificate of completion of Introduction to a Career in Real Estate;
- Real Estate Areas of Practice - proof of successful completion of the Fundamentals of Real Estate and your AREA ID. Note: Learners can only register for the Real Estate Areas of Practice, Property Management course on RECA’s website at RECA Education. This course is only available online.
All forms and accompanying documentation (transcripts, ID, etc.) must be received by AREA no later than 2 days before the course start date. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the educational institution to AREA, as transcripts that are hand-delivered or mailed by learners will not be accepted.
Please contact the Alberta Real Estate Association for information for the cost of REAP and the delivery institutions where it is offered. Prices may vary according to the delivery institution.
The Introduction to a Career in Real Estate information session takes approximately 90 minutes to complete. It is available online through RECA. The Fundamentals of Real Estate is approximately 4 weeks, including exams. Real Estate Areas of Practice is approximately 6 weeks, including exams. Final exams are administered shortly after classes end. However, learners may take up to 6 months to complete the Fundamentals of Real Estate and up to 1 year to complete the Real Estate Areas of Practice courses (a total of 18 months to complete REAP), including final exams and any exam rewrites.
You must apply for your real estate licence within 1 year of completing REAP. The date of completion is the date you passed your last final exam in REAP.
Completing REAP Via Distance Delivery
REAP can also be completed online. The online course content and materials are the same as for the in-class course, with the exception of assignments, which are required for the distance delivery program. There are several assignments with a minimum of 70 per cent required to pass each assignment.
The majority of the materials are self-study. Learners will receive a number of manuals and a forms handbook for the Fundamentals of Real Estate and 3 manuals for the Real Estate Areas of Practice courses. After reviewing the materials, learners will download and complete the assignments, and email or fax them to AREA.
To register for REAP via distance delivery, please contact AREA. To register for the Property Management course, please contact RECA at email@example.com. REAP online involves the following
- Fundamentals of Real Estate: Complete the course including assignments; complete the Environmental Issues online course; and write the final exam.
- Real Estate Areas of Practice:
- Complete theResidential course; complete the Risk Reduction & Mortgage Fraud Awareness online course; write the Residential final exam;
- Complete the Commercial course and write the final exam; and,
- Complete the Rural course and write the final exam.
- Complete the Property Management course, if desired, and write the final exam (the Property Management course is only available through www.reca.ca/education).
AREA is responsible for setting the fees to complete REAP via distance delivery (with the exception of the Real Estate Areas of Practice course on Property Management). Please contact AREA directly for more information. For the price of the Property Management course, please click here.
The timelines to complete REAP by distance delivery is the same as for classroom delivery. A learner has 6 months to complete the Fundamentals of Real Estate course and up to 1 year to complete the Real Estate Areas of Practice courses (a total of 18 months to complete REAP), including final exams and any exam rewrites.
Tutors are available by email, phone and fax to answer questions about course materials and assignments. There is also an online “help” section for technical assistance.
Once you have successfully completed each course, either in-class or online, you will receive by email a “Permission to Write” (PTW) the final exam. You will need the information in the PTW to register for your final exam. To successfully complete REAP, you must receive a minimum of 70 per cent on all final exams. All REAP final exams are completed online at one of AREA’s exam centres (except the Property Management exam). Contact AREA for more information on final exams or the exam centres.